If you are trying to find an Oriental cat breeder then please feel free to check our cat breeder adverts that can be found via the button below.
Before you do though take a look at our tips on how to find a reputable cat breeder.
When looking for an Oriental cat or kitten to join your family it is sometimes better to contact breeders and join their waiting list rather than scour kitten adverts looking for the advert that meets all of your criteria. When choosing an Oriental cat breeder you of course should try to ensure that they are a caring, reputable breeder whose goal is to produce healthy kittens with good temperaments.
Finding a Reputable Oriental Cat Breeder
If you are looking for a kitten to join your family you need to make sure that you are buying from a reputable breeder. Here a few tip to get you started in your search for a reputable cat breeder.
Finding an Oriental Cat Breeder
There are many places to find Oriental cat breeders. The best place initially is probably the internet, but we guess you already know that if you are reading this! Breed specific directory websites such as Oriental Cat Breeder should be your first port of call, closely followed by other cat directories. More general pet websites are less desirable due to the nature of the advertisers commercial intent as is often found on such websites and also the higher reports of scam adverts.
Another excellent place to look is at cat breeders websites, do not forget to view each breeders links page where they often link to other Oriental breeders, this will help to further widen the net. The same applies to cat club websites, many such websites advertise their members details.
Final place which is a bit slower but some would argue still has it’s merits is to visit a cat show and talk to the cat breeders face to face. What better way to meet the breeders, meet their cats and kittens and judge for yourself if you think you would like to buy a kitten from them.
Which Breeder to Choose
So how do you decide if somebody is a good cat breeder? Probably the best way is to talk to them on the phone and follow up with a home visit when the kittens are ready for visitors. Have a look at our list of what we think any reputable breeder should be doing for you and their cats in general. This list in not exhaustive and should be used as a starting point of things to consider when choosing your cat breeder.
- A good cat breeder should be happy to chat to you over the phone and also be happy for you to visit them in their home when the kittens are ready. If they do not have time to speak to you then cross them off your list. Same applies if they do not want you to come to their home to visit or collect a kitten
- All cats and kittens should be registered on the breeding register with a cat registry such as GCCF, TICA or FB. Never buy a kitten that is unregistered.
- All cats and kittens should be up to date on their inoculations and receive veterinary treatment when needed. Overall the cats should appear healthy and well socialised.
- Once you visit the breeder take note of the cleanliness of the home, look in particular at how the cats are kept. You want to see clean litter trays, fresh food and water bowls and clean bedding.
- Though not the be all and end all most cat breeders are members of cat clubs and do attend cat shows. If they don’t fall into this category then ask them why they don’t, you should be satisfied that are not just breeding for financial gain and have the breeds best interest at heart.
- Does the breeder have any questions for you and do they seem as interested in you and the home that their kitten could be going to as you are in them as a breeder? Responsible breeders are actually interviewing you as a prospective owner and not the other way round, it is not a buyers market!
Final Words of Advice
The best advice we can give you is to find a good cat breeder you feel you can trust. Spend some time getting to know them and follow your gut instinct. If something does not feel right then walk away.